Thursday, June 16, 2011

Value-Creating Education at MIT

I had the fortune to meet and discuss with the Dean at MIT about the core values and practical implementations of value-creating (Soka) education.  It was truly exhilarating just to even picture humanistic philosophies of Nichiren Buddhism integrated into society.  The empowerment that society and each individual needs to cultivate a sense of mission and bring into full flower the infinite capacity of a human being to nurture one another. To me, that is my dream of peace.

Another wonderful encounter I had today was with a Emeritus Professor in Physics who I admire dearly. He has given talks on nuclear abolition during our symposium From a Culture of Violence to a Culture of Peace: Transforming the Human Spirit. I think this must have been our 6th encounter but we have formed bonds of friendship that I think transcends anything. I continue to learn from his passion and he seeks to understand my life as a human being trying to respond to my mentor's call for peace.

I wrote to my mentor (Sensei), Daisaku Ikeda, about the experiences I had today. I will strive even more to realize all his dreams including abolishing all nuclear weapons by 2030. Sensei, please watch me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment